Accommodation for HM Coroner in Cumbria
Align was the lead consultant for the delivery of a new court for the Coroner in Cumbria.
The existing facility in an old building in Cockermouth lacked the necessary features to provide privacy, dignity, and adequate space, especially for larger inquests. The need for a modern, respectful environment that could cater to the demands of 21-st century court service was evident.
Align, taking the lead consultant role, collaborated closely with a skilled designed team to create a new, custom-built court facility at Lillyhall, Workington.
The designed team comprised of:
- Consultant Architect: Collingridge Architects
- Structural Engineer: DP Squared
- M&E Engineers from Align
- Sustainability Consultants & Fire Engineers: Hilson Moran
- Landscape Architects: Westwood Landscapes
The new facility was meticulously planned to be both functional and respectful. It would include:
- Two modern courts
- Dedicated offices for the Coroner’s Service
- Independent Space off the public concourse to maintain privacy and dignity
Attention to detail was paramount. The spaces provided will feel suitably civic yet intimate, to provide the right environment for the visiting public at a very sensitive and upsetting time.
Additionally, sustainability was at the forefront of the project. The 500m2 single story building was designed with timber and steel frame, clad in timber, making it environmentally friendly. The building was planned to be carbon negative – producing more energy than it consumed. This was achieved by equipping the facility with air Source Heat Pumpsfor heating and hot water, all powered by Photovoltaic Panels in the roof.
New accommodation has numerous advantages:
- Enhanced service provision (the modern facility ensures services that meet demands of the 21st century)
- Dignified environment (the facility provides a respectful space for the public)
- Sustainability (our commitment to environment, reducing ecological impact, and setting a standard for future projects)
- Collaborative effect: by bringing together a diverse team of experts, the project ensured every aspect of the building was meticulously crafted, from its design to its ecological footprint.