Service and job specific context statement: Graduate Structural Engineer
Business Unit: Align Property Partners
Post title: Structural Engineer
Responsible to: Structural/Civil Business Unit Lead
Staff managed: None
Date of issue: 29/08/18
Service: Technical; Engineers
Due to our developing workload in our civil & structural engineering section in our Northallerton office, we currently have an opportunity for a Graduate Structural Engineer to join an established multi-discipline team. You will work on projects in a range of sectors including Education, Residential, Commercial and mixed-use developments. You will have strong technical skills and will be comfortable delivering schemes for both private and public sector clients with the support of senior members of the team.
You will be have at least 5 years of working on building structures projects and be familiar with design software such as TEKLA and BIM software including AutoCAD and Revit.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious Engineer to join an enthusiastic and knowledgeable team, which will support your development and progression within the business.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work as a member of the Building Structures team within the multi-discipline organisation.
- Report to the Technical Director – Structural Engineering and work with the team of Engineers and Technicians to deliver efficient and cost effect projects to satisfy Client requirements.
- Produce 2D and 3D drawing packages using AutoCAD and Revit software for the delivery of structural engineering projects.
- Design and detail structural engineering schemes and manage project development from feasibility to completion.
- Provide technical support to team Structural Engineers.
- Work collaboratively with other in-house/external disciplines including Architects, Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Building Surveyors, Quantity Surveyors and CDM Advisors
- Ability to draw, detail structural works if required
- Produce specifications using NBS software and other documentation.
- Must have strong development skills and the ability to develop and manage work of others if and when required.
- Check Manufacturer’s and Fabricator’s drawings for accuracy and coordination with structural requirements.
- Visit sites to attend meetings, carry out inspections and surveys when required.
- Complete health and safety risk assessments in coordination with the CDM regulations and project requirements.
- Attend multi-discipline meetings as and when required.
- Be committed to maintaining an annual programme of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- Taking ownership of duties and responsibilities within the team.
- Work to defined business processes and standards.
Essential on Appointment
- BSc or equivalent in Structural or Civil Engineering, Building or Construction.
- Interest in further learning and Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- At least 5 years of working on building structures projects.
- Knowledge of basic structural engineering analysis and design principles.
- Working with drawing CAD and BIM software including AutoCAD and Revit.
- Strong understanding of structural engineering and associated best practices.
- Sound knowledge of all structural materials including, steelwork, reinforced concrete, masonry and timber for drawing, detailing and design purposes to current British and European Standards
- Knowledge of CDM Regulations and health and safety requirements/responsibilities.
- Experience of working closely with other disciplines to produce coordinated deliverables and accurate structural schemes.
Technical Skills and Ability
The preparation of feasibility studies.
- Ability to produce structural designs, models, specifications, schedules and documents to high standards in conjunction with internal and external design disciplines.
- Competence to carry out site inspections and surveys of building structures
- Production of concrete reinforcement drawings, detailing and schedules.
- Adhere to defined business and discipline processes and standards.
- Understanding of sustainable design methods.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills.
- Good analytical and problem solving ability.
- A keen eye for detail and a careful and accurate approach.
- Must be self-motivated and pro-active and demonstrate ability to see projects through from feasibility to completion.
- Ability to be resourceful whilst working both independently and as part of a high-performing team.
- Competence to take initiative, ownership and responsibility.
- Being able to manage and prioritise own workload to suit project demands.
- Proficiency with the use of the Microsoft Office Suite.•
Desirable on Appointment
- Graduate Member of the Institution of Structural Engineers.
- CAD and BIM software specific qualifications.
- Working in a multi-discipline environment.
- Geotechnical and drainage experience
- Producing 2D and 3D drawing models whilst implementing high CAD and BIM standards.
- Ability to use NBS software.
- Adhere to defined business and discipline processes, standards and deadlines.
- A full UK driving license
For more information please contact our Business Support Officer on: 01609 797394