Service and job specific context statement: Quantity Surveyor / Senior Quantity Surveyor
Business Unit: Align Property Partners
Post title: Quantity Surveyor / Senior Quantity Surveyor
Responsible to: Quantity Surveying Business Unit Lead
Staff managed: None
Date of issue: 29th August 2018
Service: To carry out the role of Quantity Surveyor/Senior Quantity Surveyor
Provides a variety of services including those relating to design, production of information, project management, building surveys and contract administration.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work as a member of the QS team within the multi-discipline organisation.
- Utilise best practice tools and processes to support project delivery in Quantity Surveying.
- Manage projects through the entire project lifecycle.
- Prepare estimates, cost plans and tender documentation using various forms of measurement and contracts.
- Be proficient in measurement for Schedule of Works and Bills of Quantities production.
- Prepare and agree interim valuations with contractors and issue recommendations for payment.
- Pricing variations throughout the duration of the contract and provide cost advice.
- Attend site meetings, and provide input and support to the project.
- Price and prepare monthly financial cost reports and cashflow forecasts throughout the period of a contract.
- Agree re-measurement of quantities with contractors, and prepare and agree final accounts and claims. Prepare final accounts for clients that are suitable for audit.
- Preparation and analysis of statistical cost information to monitor trends in the Building Industry and assisting with cost planning future projects.
- Administer and provide advice on contracts, typically the JCT and NEC forms of contract.
- Value Engineering services.
- Chair, document and issue formal meeting notes for multi-discipline, Client and contractor meetings as and when required.
- Be committed to maintaining an annual programme of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- Taking ownership of duties and responsibilities within the team.
- Complete work to defined business processes, standards and time frames.
- To be competent in the following areas as relevant to the discipline –
- Professional ethics
- Construction technology and environmental services
- Contract administration
- Quantification of Construction Works
- Financial Management of Projects
- Design Economics
- Legal/regulatory compliance
- Contracts, Procurement and Tendering
- Analysis of client requirements
- Communication and negotiation
- Conflict avoidance, management and dispute resolution procedures Conservation and restoration
- Undertaking any other duties and responsibilities that may arise.
- Willingness to work flexibly (may be essential for this post).
- Support local and national sales and bids as appropriate.
- Maintain a car, relevant insurance and a full driving licence.
Essential on Appointment
- (BSc) Degree in Quantity Surveying – accredited with the RICS
- Can demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of professional ethics. Are able to describe examples where they have applied this knowledge during their work while advising Clients.
- Has post degree experience working as a Quantity Surveyor
- Has a working knowledge of, and can describe competence elements with reasonable accuracy and completeness.
- Has practical experience of applying their knowledge and competence elements in a number of projects.
- Works under minimal supervision and completes tasks using own judgement, work is reviewed for adequacy on completion.
- Appreciates complex situations and obtains assistance from others to complete tasks when required.
- Has the experience of breaking down actions to achieve an overall goal.
- Experience of working closely with other disciplines to produce coordinated deliverables.
Technical Skills and Ability
- Working knowledge of applicable industry standard forms of contract, typically JCT and NEC.
- Pre and post contract knowledge.
- Experience of;
- Cost forecasting and reporting,
- Cost control,
- Cost risk management,
- Advising on procurement options,
- Procurement documentation preparation,
- Contract documentation preparation,
- Contract administration,
- Contract documentation.
- Good general commercial awareness.
- Use of Electronic Tendering packages.
- Use of computerised measurement packages.
Desirable on Appointment
- RICS Accredited or Working towards RICS Chartership.
- Project Management qualification/ experience.
- Working in a multi-discipline environment.
- Experience with producing documents for tender.
- Experience of working on design and build projects.
- Experience of different methods of construction.
- Experience in housing & education.
- Adhere to defined business and discipline processes, standards and deadlines.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills.
- The ability to effectively communicate with colleagues and represent the company during Client meetings
- Good analytical and problem solving ability.
- A keen eye for detail and a careful and accurate approach.
- Are self-motivated and pro-active and demonstrate ability to see projects through from feasibility to completion.
- Ability to be resourceful whilst working both independently and as part of a high-performing team.
- Competence to take initiative, ownership and responsibility.
- Being able to manage and prioritise own workload to suit project demands.
For more information please contact our Business Support Officer on: 01609 797394