Service and job specific context statement: Mechanical Building Services Engineer/Senior Engineer
Business Unit: Align Property Partners
Post title: Mechanical Building Services Engineer/Senior Engineer
Responsible to: Building Services Business Unit Lead
Staff managed: None
Date of issue: 29th August 2018
Service: To carry out the role of a Mechanical Building Services Engineer/Senior Engineer
Provides a variety of services including those relating to design, production of information, project management, building surveys and contract administration.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work as a member of the Building Services team within the multi-discipline organisation.
- Producing early design advice through to detailed Mechanical Services Design.
- Production of mechanical building services design calculations using a wide range oof techniques ranging from manual hand calculations, Excel spreadsheets and the use of industry standard software such as Hevacomp and IES.
- Producing feasibility reports, design specifications and drawings suitable for all RIBA work stages.
- Undertaking surveys on mechanical building services to advise on their suitability for continued use.
- Working to deliver engineering solutions to client budgets and programmes.
- Visit sites to attend meetings, carry out inspections and surveys when required, Note: regional coverage of projects within Cumbria anticipated.
- Contract Administration and project running including on site (RIBA Stage 5)
- Knowledge of NEC and JCT contracts
- Carry out project design and complete health and safety risk assessments to meet current CDM regulation requirements.
- Overseeing and supervising the installation of building services systems, undertaking commissioning management and specifying maintenance and operating procedures.
- Using specialist computer-aided design (CAD) and BIM (Revit) software and other resources to design the systems required for the project.
- Be committed to maintaining an annual programme of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- Taking ownership of duties and responsibilities within the team.
- Complete work to defined business processes, standards and time frames.
Essential on Appointment
- Degree or HNC in Building Services/Mechanical engineering.
- Can demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of professional ethics. Are able to describe examples where they have applied this knowledge during their work while advising Clients.
- Has experience of, and is competent to work on buildings that contain asbestos.
- Has post degree/HNC experience working as a Mechanical Building Services Engineer.
- Has a working knowledge of, and can describe competence elements with reasonable accuracy and completeness.
- Has practical experience of applying their knowledge and competence elements in a number of projects.
- Works under minimal supervision and completes some tasks using own judgement, but overall supervision is required, work is reviewed for adequacy on completion.
- Appreciates complex situations and obtains assistance from others to complete tasks when required.
- Has the experience of breaking down actions to achieve an overall goal.
- May provide some technical and design guidance to less experienced Building Services personnel.
- Experience of working closely with other disciplines to produce coordinated deliverables.
Technical Skills and Ability
- The preparation of feasibility studies and technical reports
- Ability to produce plans, sections and detailed drawings, specifications, schedules of works and other documents to high standards in conjunction with internal and external design disciplines.
- Proficiency with the use of the Microsoft Office Suite, Autodesk AutoCAD and NES software.
- Revit proficiency desirable.
- Contract administration of construction contracts.
- Provide advice on Health and Safety issues throughout the design and construction period of projects, taking into account the Construction Design and Management Regulations.
- The preparation of applications for statutory approval including Planning and Building Control applications. Advises on property legislation and building regulations.
- Provide advice on building related matters including energy, sustainability, and low carbon technologies.
Desirable on Appointment
- BIM software experience.
- P405 working with asbestos
- Project Management qualification
- Working in a multi-discipline environment.
- Experience with producing documents for tender.
- Experience of working as a Contract Administrator.
- Has 3+ years post qualification experience working as a mechanical building services Architectural Technician/Technologist.
Adhere to defined business and discipline processes, standards and deadlines.
- Adhere to defined business and discipline processes, standards and deadlines.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills.
- The ability to effectively communicate with colleagues and represent the company during Client meetings
- Good analytical and problem solving ability.
- A keen eye for detail and a careful and accurate approach.
- Are self-motivated and pro-active and demonstrate ability to see projects through from feasibility to completion.
- Ability to be resourceful whilst working both independently and as part of a high-performing team.
- Competence to take initiative, ownership and responsibility.
- Being able to manage and prioritise own workload to suit project demands.
- A full UK driving license
For more information please contact our Business Support Officer on: 01609 797394