Service and job specific context statement: Drainage & Infrastructure Engineer
Business Unit: Align Property Partners
Post title: Drainage & Infrastructure Engineer
Responsible to: Structural/Civic Business Unit Lead
Staff managed: None
Date of issue: 29/08/18
Service: Technical; Engineers
The core focus of this post is to provide technical drainage & infrastructure design & support to a multi-discipline team We currently have an opportunity for a Drainage/Infrastructure Engineer to support the developing workload in our civil & structural engineering section in our Northallerton office. Joining an established multi-discipline team, you will work on projects in a range of sectors including Education, Residential, Commercial and mixed-use developments. You will have strong technical and project management skills and will be comfortable delivering schemes for both private and public sector clients.
You will be a Chartered Engineer or an Engineer working toward chartered status with several years’ experience of drainage design, flood risk assessment and highways design. You will be conversant with section 104, 278, 38 works and will have experience of Microdrainage design software AutoCAD and 3D modelling ideally Civils 3D. You will be able to carry out plot engineering on housing projects but also wider civil engineering drainage for other schemes.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious Engineer to join an enthusiastic and knowledgeable team that will support your development and progression within the business.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work as a member of the Civil & Structural team within the multi-discipline organisation including Architects, Building Surveyors, Quantity Surveyors, M&E Engineers and CDM.
- Report to the Technical Director and work with the team of Engineers and Technicians to deliver efficient and cost effect projects to satisfy Client requirements.
- Client focus, lead and attend design review meetings or progress meetings
- Drainage design (foul & surface water)
- Highways and Pavement design to UK DMRB standards
- Provide technical support to the multi-discipline team
- The production of infrastructure design packages
- Complete health and safety risk assessments in coordination with the CDM regulations and project requirements.
- Assisting in bid preparation and the work winning process
- Dealing with client & team technical and design matters
- Input to and management of Civils/Infrastructure CAD and BIM quality assurance standards whilst ensuring best practices are adopted.
- Coordinate deliverables and work collaboratively with other disciplines
- Prepare technical specifications and assist QS team with the development of Bills of Quantities
- Visit sites to attend meetings, carry out inspections and surveys when required.
- Check and verify junior engineers design and delivery work
- Attend multi-discipline meetings as and when required.
- Be committed to maintaining an annual programme of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- Taking ownership of duties and responsibilities within the team.
- Work to defined business processes and standards.
- Ensure senior staff are kept informed of important and relevant service/design decisions and the objectives of the company and the client are achieved
- Contribute as appropriate to planning of project work and resourcing planning of the Infrastructure team
- Strive to see that service and project work are carried out within agreed deadlines and within budget
Essential on Appointment
- A Bachelors degree (Masters degree preferred) in Civil Engineering or appropriate subject
- Professional registration (preferably Chartered status) with a relevant institution
- Interest in further learning and Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- You will be a senior engineer with several years’ experience of drainage design, flood risk assessment and external works design.
- You will be conversant with section 104, 278, 38 works and will have experience of Microdrainage design software AutoCAD and 3D modelling
- Experience in the conceptual and detailed design of infrastructure projects, including earthworks, roads and drainage
- You will be able to carry out plot engineering on housing projects but also wider civil engineering drainage for other schemes.
- Be able to demonstrate clear and successful technical competence in the field of civil engineering
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to push the boundaries of existing knowledge and the ability to take the lead outside of core discipline
- Proven track record of dealing with Clients and forging effective relationships in a professional and customer focused manner
- Mentoring and guiding junior members of staff
- Good written and oral communication skills are essential
- Knowledge of CDM Regulations and health and safety requirements/responsibilities.
- Experience of working closely with other disciplines to produce coordinated deliverables and accurate structural schemes.
Technical Skills and Ability
- The right candidate shall be able to take on significant elements of design, either working on their own initiative, with minimal supervision or by taking a lead role working within multi-discipline project teams.
- Able to obtain and analyse information and report on findings.
- Interdisciplinary working
- Competence to carry out site inspections, surveys and reporting
- Experience in the use of design software such as Civils 3D, and Microdrainage
- Knowledge of relevant legislation such as DMRB and Sewers for Adoption
- Adhere to defined business and discipline processes and standards.
- Understanding of sustainable design methods.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills.
- Good analytical and problem solving ability.
- A keen eye for detail and a careful and accurate approach.
- Must be self-motivated and pro-active and demonstrate ability to see projects through from feasibility to completion.
- Ability to be resourceful whilst working both independently and as part of a high-performing team.
- Competence to take initiative, ownership and responsibility.
- Being able to manage and prioritise own workload to suit project demands.
- Proficiency with the use of the Microsoft Office Suite.
Desirable on Appointment
- Incorporated or Chartered Status (AMICE/MICE or equivalent) or equivalent demonstrable experience
- CAD and BIM software specific qualifications
- Working in a multi-discipline environment.
- Geotechnical experience
- Civils 3D
- Experience of commercial and land development projects would be beneficial
- Experience of Contract Preparation and Contract Supervision using NEC forms of contract
- Experience in developing SuDS and drainage strategies would be beneficial
Adhere to defined business and discipline processes, standards and deadlines.
- A full clean UK driving license
- Provide guidance and mentoring to assist and develop junior staff members
For more information please contact our Business Support Officer on: 01609 797394