Service and job specific context statement: Architectural Technologist
Business Unit: Align Property Partners
Post title: Architectural Technician/Technologist
Responsible to: Architectural Business Unit Lead
Staff managed: None
Date of issue: September 2018
Service: To carry out the role of an Architectural Technician/Technologist
Provides a variety of services including those relating to design, production of information, project management, building surveys and contract administration.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work as a member of the Architectural team within the multi-discipline organisation.
- Produce plan, section and detail drawings for construction using AutoCAD (Revit experience desirable).
- Produce Planning & Building Regulation applications
- Produce schedules of work and specifications using NBS software and other documentation.
- Coordinate deliverables and work collaboratively with other disciplines including Building Surveyors, Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Structural Engineers, Quantity Surveyors and CDM Advisors.
- Visit sites to attend meetings, carry out inspections and surveys when required, within the Cumbria region.
- Contract Administration and project running including on site (RIBA Stage 5)
- Knowledge of NEC and JCT contracts
- Carry out project design and complete health and safety risk assessments to meet current CDM regulation requirements.
- Chair, document and issue formal meeting notes for multi-discipline, Client and contractor meetings as and when required.
- Taking ownership of duties and responsibilities within the team.
- Complete work to defined business processes, standards and time frames.
Essential on Appointment
- Hold an Architectural technical degree or higher level qualification, ideally CIAT or working towards CIAT
- Can demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of professional ethics. Are able to describe examples where they have applied this knowledge during their work while advising Clients.
- Has experience of, and is competent to work on buildings that contain asbestos.
- Has post qualification experience working as an Architectural Technician/Technologist.
- Has a working knowledge of, and can describe competence elements with reasonable accuracy and completeness.
- Has practical experience of applying their knowledge and competence elements in a number of projects.
- Works under minimal supervision and completes some tasks using own judgement, but overall supervision is required, work is reviewed for adequacy on completion.
- Appreciates complex situations and obtains assistance from others to complete tasks when required.
- Has the experience of breaking down actions to achieve an overall goal.
- Experience of working closely with other disciplines to produce coordinated deliverables.
Technical Skills and Ability
- Ability to produce plans, sections and detailed drawings, specifications, schedules of works and other documents to high standards in conjunction with internal and external design disciplines.
- Proficiency with the use of the Microsoft Office Suite, Autodesk AutoCAD and NBS software.
- Revit, Photoshop & Sketch Up proficiency desirable.
- Contract administration of construction contracts.
- Provide advice on Health and Safety issues throughout the design and construction period of projects, taking into account the Construction Design and Management Regulations.
- The preparation of applications for statutory approval including Planning and Building Control applications. Advises on property legislation and building regulations.
- Provide advice on building related matters including fire safety, sustainability, conservation and restoration.
- The preparation of feasibility studies.
Desirable on Appointment
- CIAT Membership
- BIM software experience.
- P405 working with asbestos
- Working in a multi-discipline environment.
- Experience with producing documents for tender.
- Experience of working as a Contract Administrator.
- Has 3+ years post qualification experience working as an Architectural Technician/Technologist.
- Adhere to defined business and discipline processes, standards and deadlines.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills.
- The ability to effectively communicate with colleagues and represent the company during Client meetings
- Good analytical and problem solving ability.
- A keen eye for detail and a careful and accurate approach.
- Are self-motivated and pro-active and demonstrate ability to see projects through from feasibility to completion.
- Ability to be resourceful whilst working both independently and as part of a high-performing team.
- Competence to take initiative, ownership and responsibility.
- Being able to manage and prioritise own workload to suit project demands.
- A full UK driving license
For more information please contact our Business Support Officer on: 01609 797394